Food allergy in children increased 18 percent in the United States between 1997 and 2007, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One theory is that chemicals in pesticides and tap water may play a role in how we lose tolerance and become reactive.
HealthDay News reports on a new study out this month in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology that shares results from a study of 2,200 Americans aged 6 and older. The researchers found that those with sensitivity to one or more foods had higher levels of dichlorophenols in their urine compared to people without such allergies.
Dichlorophenols are found in commonly-used pesticides on produce and in lawn care, as residue on conventionally-grown fruits and vegetables, and in our tap water. In short, we are exposed to these chemicals at every turn. Other studies have linked pesticide exposure in golfers to breast cancer.
What can we do to avoid exposure? Avoid freshly-treated lawns, stick to organic fruits and vegetables, and filter all the water going into your home, or, at the very least, filter your drinking water.
→ As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also may use affiliate links elsewhere in my site.