In his book, Fat Profits (Howling Hound Press, 2012), Bruce Bradley discusses unappetizing secrets of the food industry that they would rather you not know about. Here are five dirty little secrets of food manufacturers:
1. Cruel, inhumane, and unsanitary conditions for factory-farmed livestock.
2. Toxic artificial sweeteners that cause brain cell damage when combined with common food coloring agents and actually cause you to gain weight.
3. GMOs lurking in common fillers like vinegar, soybean oil, and cottonseed oil.
4. Trans fats are still used in many, many products.
5. Petroleum-derived food coloring agents used to make unappealing ingredients more appealing to kids yet have been linked to behavior problems in children.