14 Comments

1. Melissa at |

Thank you so much for this recipe! I tried it on some really disgusting carpet with lots of stains and it worked suprisingly great. For those saying not to mix the vinegar and peroxide, it’s a very dulited amount. It’s mostly water. Just rinse the tank afterwards and it should be fine. I didn’t notice any carpet discoloration at all. Only fresh and clean carpet! Yay ☺️

2. Tyler Rice at |

Don’t do this! Mixing hydrogen peroxide and vinegar creates peracetic acid! Very corrosive!

1. Linda at |

You are exactly right! I thought the same thing when I saw this recipe. I am, however, looking for an effective DIY carpet cleaning recipe for my machine – do you know of one?
      Linda

3. Stacy Kilb at |

Does the vinegar leave behind any sort of odor? My husband finds its scent nauseating!

1. Kelley at |

The smell of vinegar dissipates after use. I use it to clean counter tops, etc… and the smell never lasts! (:

4. Brian at |

Great article. Just be careful with peroxide, especially on wool.

5. Brian at |

Great article. I would just add that, people should be careful when using peroxide even at 3% solution as it could damage carpeting, especially wool!
    We clean carpets in Norwalk, Ctand have seen our share of damage caused by homemade spot treatments.

6. N. Willis at |

I’m on a budget here and really needed help like this. Thank you so much <3

7. Daisy Finch at |

Thank you for sharing. I truly enjoyed reading your well written post. <3

8. Valeera Sands at |

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing the info it helps me a lot. I will recommend it to all my friends and colleagues.

Best Regards! Newington Carpet Cleaners Ltd.

9. Farhaana at |

I have heard that vinegar can set stains. Have you heard of that?

10. Cory Waltmathe at |

I am sorry to hear your story. I can really feel how stressed you are when it happened. Aside from furniture pieces, the carpet is one of the things that require attention after a flood. The good thing here is that you know how to resolve this kind of problem. White vinegar is an all-around cleaner, indeed. Using this material will surely give you a satisfying result.

11. Water Damage Repair at |

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on basement water damage. Regards

12. seher aniat at |

I didn’t know you could make your own carpeting shampoo! Very awesome!